Friday, May 10, 2013

4 Nominations for Most Loving/Caring Moms in my Life




We are coming upon Mother's Day this Sunday and although it has become a commercialized holiday, it still means a great deal to me. It is a day where we can celebrate moms and let them know how much they mean to us. And so I would like to take this time to nominate the 4 most influential and "motherly" women in my life.


  1. My Mother: My mother is one of the most selfless and caring women I have ever known. She has always been there for me. She has never turned her back on me no matter what. She is always ready to help and to give of herself. I made her a grandmother and this has helped take me back to how she was when I was little. She is always there for my daughter. She has never passed up the opportunity to spend time with her or myself. She is a wonderful caretaker who does all that she can for my daughter, sister and I. There are not enough words to describe all that she does but she definitely gets the best mom award. 
  2. My Maternal Grandmother (My Nonna): My grandma was like my second mom growing up. My mother and father worked 9 to 5 jobs so it was my grandma who picked me up from school and sometimes also fed me dinner. She was also very kind and patient and I can't remember her ever yelling or getting upset with me. My fondest memories are our walks to and from school. She would hold my hand and talk through the sun, rain or snow. I remember her buying me ice cream almost every day from the ice cream truck (after I begged her). We would also go to the church and visit the "grotto". I miss her very much. She passed away unexpectedly on May 23, 2006. Even though she led a long and furfilling life and died in her 80s, I wish my daughter would have gotten the chance to meet her.
  3. My Godmother (My Madrina): My Godmother (who is also my Aunt) is another caring and loving mom. She also  took care of me often when I was little because she lived downstairs from my grandmother. She took my cousin and I to the beach, park, pool etc when we were little. We probably drove her crazy in return but she never complained. She was always very affectionate and responsive to our needs. She still gives great hugs and kisses to this day. 
  4. My Aunt (Father's Sister): Even though my Aunt lives in Italy and I have only seen her on about 6 different occasions, I still feel very close to her. She has always kept in contact through phone calls, email, facebook and skype. She is also a very loving woman who is very selfless and giving. She took care of my paternal grandparents until they died and she recently lost her husband to bladder cancer. She did everything for them in their times of need and never abondoned them even though their long illness took a toll on her. Her only daughter has given her 3 grandchildren who are the light of her life. I miss her and look forward to seeing her again soon.

My Mother, Grandmother, Godmother and Aunt have been the most influential women in my life. Their parenting has helped make me the mother I am today. My daughter is lucky because of how wonderful they were to me. I hope I can pass what I have learned to her.


No comments:

Post a Comment