Monday, May 6, 2013

Evolution of the Kid Birthday Party

Do you remember having a theme to your birthday party when you were a kid? Chances are if you are in your late twenties or older, you didn't have a theme besides a "Happy Birthday" one. And guess what? No character came and there wasn't any face-painting either. You were lucky if there was a pinata. Goodie bags were also a rarity.

Birthday parties for children these days is a carefully planned and elaborate display of a theme-related cake, decorations, plates, cups and activities. Party planning requires time, effort and usually money. The supplies are usually expensive. Cakes can range from a $30 to $300 and up depending on where it's bought and how detailed it is. The cost of renting a room or location can also cost you.

If I try to think back to my birthday parties, the only theme I remember is Raggedy Ann when I was 5 and that meant that only the cake was Raggedy Ann. I think it was an ice cream cake from Carvel.  I only remember because there was a picture. There was no Raggedy Ann cups, plates, or decorations and she did not come to your party! When I think about it, I was pretty lucky to have that cake because it wasn't the norm to have that for a party.

Then there were birthday parties at McDonalds. My ninth birthday was held there. Another example of the themed parties of the 1970s and 1980s. Having your party there was a coveted one. After all, where else could you eat french fries out of a Happy Meal and eat a cake that had edible sugary balloons? You got to wear Ronald McDonald or Grimace around your head and you got to color in a placemat of The Hamburglar or Mayor McCheese. (What ever happened to those guys anyway?)

My daughter's 2nd birthday was a Yo Gabba Gabba party. We had it at home because the guest list was small and because I couldn't come up with a place that would be appropriate for her age and for a cold winter day (January). Nevertheless, it was a great party. The cake was made by a good friend of mine (GG Cakes) and it looked and tasted fantastic! Foofa came to the party and boy was my daughter happy. If fact, after 30 minutes or so when it was time for her to leave, she cried and cried.

I look forward to planning more extravagant parties as she gets older (nothing TOO extravagant of course). It goes to show how things have changed from the 1970s and 80s. Even though we did without the elaborate parties, planning them for our children seems like second nature. Maybe its a fad like texting, iphones and viral videos....maybe it will be different in 30 or 40 years. Who knows? For now, I know I will enjoy planning them.

Have you planned any cool themed birthday parties for your children?  Please leave a comment and let me know. I would love to post some pictures of cakes and characters!


Vito's 4th Birthday at McDonalds 1980

Pilar's 1st Birthday 1981

Pilar's 7th Birthday 1987

Nataly's 5th Birthday 1995

 Carlos' 4th Birthday 1999


Santiago's 2nd Birthday 2010 (Backyardigan theme)


Santiago's 3rd Birthday 2011 (Spiderman theme)

Savannah's 1st Birthday 2012 (Cupcake theme)

Hailey's Sweet Celebration!



Happy Birthday Jacob!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Of course, I never had a themed birthday party but I made sure my son's first birthday was fun! But like you, I celebrated at home because extravagance is something I stay away from. Here's the link: http://www.sandinmytoes.tk/2013/04/flashback-first-birthday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! There is always an evolution of things. Birthday parties were quite different back then and the trend has completely changed now. I am looking for one of the finest New York venues for my kid’s birthday and I have to think of a theme because now days people have themes on birthday parties.

    ReplyDelete