Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Bug Repellent

I decided to do this post because I recently went to the pharmacy looking for a bug repellent with little or no dangerous pesticides. It was a last minute thing that I needed so I didn't have time to order it or go to the organic supermarket so I had to settle for what was at the neighborhood store. I had a really hard time picking something out and in the end settled for something that said "natural" even though it really wasn't.

If you are going to be outdoors with your child, try to avoid going out at dusk or areas near water where there might be alot of mosquitoes. Cover the child up in light weight clothing, covering as much skin as possible if the weather allows. If you must use repellent use caution. Insect repellents containing DEET should not be used if your baby is under 2 months old. If you do use repellents containing DEET in children older than 2 months old, please use low concentrations (10%) and do not apply directly to the baby/child. The correct way to apply is to first apply to your hands and then rub your hands and then apply with your hands. Some repellents contain picardin which is a bit less irritating but it is still a chemical and should be used sparingly.  Remember products containing these dangerous chemicals are harmful and try to avoid!

Making your own repellent is a safe, effective alternative! Here is what I did:

First find a good spray bottle. I used a small one because I didn't want to make a big amount. The general rule is you should pick an essential oil (either lavender, cinnamon, citronella, or eucalyptus oil). Remember, do not use eucalyptus if your child is under 3 years old. Fill your water bottle with water and add lemon juice (about 1/2 cup) and add 20 to 30 drops of the oil. You can then add vanilla extract: about 3 tablespoons should be enough. Shake well and then apply. Avoid sensitive areas like eyes and ears.

I read some other articles that said to use other ingredients like alcohol (vodka??? or which hazel) and oils like olive oil or sunflower oil but that's up to you! Have you ever made your own repellent? If so what did you use and was it effective?

10 comments:

  1. My mom always use the natural remedy for everything:)! Interesting enough it works! but I think she will really like to try this one! Russian gardening now in full season and so as mosquitoes!
    Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really works too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made my own but I could have so used these when we went on our trip to the Caribbean last year. The mosquitos almost ate poor Madison alive. If you don't mind I'd love to post this on my blog crediting your for a future post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Great! Thank you and of course! :)

      Delete
  4. My mom made everything from scratch including bug repellent :) It works really well and I try to avoid using to many chemicals, so it's a safer alternative. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cant wait to buy some more essential oils and make some more :)

      Delete
  5. I love this idea! Bug repellent from the stores always scares me with all the chemicals involved. I'd much rather make my own spray. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I am looking forward to writing more posts like this one :)

      Delete