Friday, June 21, 2013

My Garden is Growing!

A little over two weeks ago I planted lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, basil and strawberries. Well its finally growing and I am about to eat my first salad! 

What are some easy plants to care for and which give good results? Here are my recommendations:
  • Tomatoes: There are a few different types of tomatoes you can plant. Among there are cherry, beef and Roma tomatoes. I planted all three and the plants have doubled in size in a little over two weeks. I am waiting for  the tiny yellow flowers to grow and eventually the tomato. Remember to space your tomatoes apart and tie them to sticks when they get tall so that they don't tip over.
  • Lettuce: This was my first time growing lettuce and so far the results are really good. The plant has nearly tripled in size and tonight I was able to make a salad with it. It was delicious!
  • Green Peppers: So far the green pepper plants are growing but I'm not sure how long it will take before the green peppers start to grow. I will keep you posted.
  • Strawberries: The strawberry plant is growing nicely and I think the strawberries will be here soon. I would definetly recommended strawberry plants for beginners because they grow pretty quickly and  require little care.
  • Basil: Everyone should have basil in their gardens. It is ready to use from day one and it can add taste to salad, pastas, meats and much more.


Here is a picture to show the progress: 

6/2/13: clockwise from top: basil, strawberries and lettuce.    



Lettuce on 6/20/13




Strawberries on 6/30/13: little growing strawberries seen!


6 comments:

  1. I love your little garden. I hope to make gardening a project sometime in the near future. It is great to be able to grow your own food. No worries about what get done to it like the commercially grown food today. So much fresher too.
    Stopping over from Bloggy Mom's
    Have a wonderful day
    Bismah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I can't wait for the tomatoes, strawberries and green peppers to grow! I will put some pics up as soon as that happens :) Thanks again for visiting!

      Delete
  2. My tomatoes are ripening, it should be about another month before they are ready to eat. I'm still waiting on my strawberries too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No tomatoes here yet but tiny strawberries showed up today! Can't wait for them to be ready. I will post another update soon :)

      Delete
  3. The lettuce is looking great, and I love strawberries!!! I should try to plant some strawberries.
    I'm your newest follower via GFC and GooglePlus. =0)
    ~Kim
    www.2justByou.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I cant wait to taste the strawberries :) Following you back

    ReplyDelete