Friday, June 7, 2013

Not Our Generation

Do you ever wonder what the children that are growing up today will be like when they grow up? Chances are if you are in your late twenties, thirties and older, you had a very different life than the children that are growing up today. Kids today have devices like iphones, ipads, tablets, computers at their fingertips. They can use search engines like google to look things up that they are curious about, while we had to wait for a trip to the library if we weren't lucky enough to have a set on encyclopedias in our homes.
This generation will enter kindergarten knowing far more, especially technology wise than we did. They will be able to look up answers to questions easily as they grow older which will fill them with far more knowledge than we had at that same age. Will this make our children wiser or more likely to suceed in life? How will this affect their SAT scores, their career paths and what kind of adults they will be become?
Will this have a negative effect on them? Should we be protecting them from too much technology? Should we allow them to be kids and play games like kids do? This is something to think about.
I guess only time will tell.


What about cell phones? Can they really cause cancer? Please limit you and your children's contact with cell phones. Never store them on your body (eg in a bra or in your pocket). Keep them in your purse and off your body if possible.



This is day four in my 15-day Blog Challenge

The 15-Day Blog Writing Challenge

3 comments:

  1. Hi Linda: I wrote a post similar to this earlier this week, because I struggle over how much access to social media and electronics I should allow my kids. It's definitely a very different world than the one we grew up in and what is normal for them was nowhere near available for us. Certainly brings up its own set of positives, negatives, and parenting challenges.

    http://clueconsultingllc.net/blog-mrscpkc/children-social-media-asking-for-trouble/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree and it worries me a bit. They are the first generation going through this so we really don't know how it will affect them. It's pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a strange case since I am 35, but I grew up in Seattle. A number of my uncles worked at Microsoft and my cousin started building his own computers when we were 13. I had a lot more technology than a lot of people and my cousins spent a lot of time on Atari and then Nintendo. We all turned out fine :) I think as long as they have access to other things like toys, outside time etc. technology should be embraced!

    ReplyDelete